Such a big topic & although we are biased by offering mortgage broking as a service, this is not about critising the banks because at the end of the day we all rely on them to lend money.
From an outcome perspective, the biggest difference comes down to having choice & finding solutions to your needs. The lending landscape has become such a complicated minefield, in which lenders differentiate between fixed vs variable rates, interest only vs principle and interest repayments, investment vs owner occupied, business loans, business overdrafts, development funding, construction loans and the list goes on.
Furthermore, how they choose to assess your credit history, understand your income and appetite they have towards the property you are purchasing can differ greatly from one lender to another.
If you where to walk into one bank and you fail to fit into their mould, unfortunately you may be told what you want to achieve is not possible. They are not obliged to tell you to go to a competitor.
A good mortgage broker not only needs to understand one lender, but the entire market. Their job is to listen to you and your needs and find a tailored solution.
A good mortgage broker is also one that is not ‘transactional’. It is not just about setting up your loan and never hearing from them again. What is the strategy to actually pay the debt off? What are the goals and where is the ongoing relationship?
Benefits of a Mortgage Broker
- Deal with lenders on your behalf which involves the collection, right up and submission of your loan application. They also liase with the banks on your behalf
- Simplifying complicated banking terminology for you to better understand the process so you can be more accountable.
- Regular reviews: Banks will very rarely contact you to lower your interest rates. By undertaking reviews, the ongoing relationship with your broker is important to keep the banks honest and ensure you current position is always being optimised.
- Ongoing relationships should be formed with your broker so they can become a one stop shop for all your lending requirements whether it be for business or personal reasons.
- Debt reduction strategies can be implemented. As discussed above, a good mortgage broker should not only set up your loan but provide the tools and knowledge to assist you in paying down the debt.
- The service is generally free for you. Our mortgage brokers are accredited with many lenders and get paid directly from the bank of your choice in the form of commission. It does not cost you an extra cent taking advantage of a mortgage broker than going direct to bank.
The information is general in nature and does not take into account your particular objectives or financial situation. It does not constitute, and should not be relied on as, financial or investment advice or recommendations (expressed or implied) and is not an invitation to take up securities or other financial products or services. No decision should be made on the basis of the information without first seeking expert financial advice. Your full financial needs and requirements would need to be assessed prior to any offer or acceptance of a loan product. Subject to lenders terms and conditions, fees and charges and eligibility criteria apply.
GKL Financial Group Pty Ltd (Credit Representative Number: 485271) is a Credit Representative of the licence holder Victorian Financial Solutions Pty Ltd (Australian Credit Licence Holder: 431349)